Overview Of The Region
The Ashanti Regional/Brong Ahafo (BA) YMCA was established in 1940. As its name indicates, it is the only regional office of the Ghana YMCA which has jurisdiction over two distinct regions i.e. Ashanti Region and Brong Ahafo Region.
There are eight local YMCA branches under the region namely, Kumasi, which is the oldest, Konongo, Morso, Wawase, Bassa, Bekwai, Sunyani and Nalerigu. Out of the eight branches, five of them are fully functional whereas three of them are undergoing a structural rebuild to strengthen them.
Throughout its existence, the Ashanti/Brong Ahafo YMCA has implemented a large number of youth empowerment projects in various towns/communities across the Ashanti and BA regions. However, based on the unique needs of the young people in the region, the region has grown to develop key interests in the following areas; Civic Action Programmes, Early childhood education (through YMCA day-care centres), Creative Arts and Performing Arts (through its Drama and Cultural Groups), Youth Mentorship (through Youth in Transition programme), Sexual and Reproductive Health Education (through Teenage pregnancy prevention Campaign) and Youth Livelihood Development (through Entrepreneurship training).
Four branches have built long-standing partnerships with fellow YMCAs in Germany for the development of their day-care centres towards the improvement of early childhood education in their various communities. Konongo partnered with CVJM Buschergrund, Morso YMCA partnered with CVJM Stapelage and CVJM Rittershansen, Kumasi YMCA partnered with CVJM Deilinghofen, whereas the Bassa YMCA partnered with CVJM Schnathorst Tengern.
In the short-term, the region is looking to strengthen all its branches by building the capacity of its members and expanding the branches by attracting more members into the YMCA. The long-term plan of the region is to assist all the branches in the region to develop sustainable youth empowerment programmes that are fully implemented by YMCA volunteers at branch level. The region is also open to partnering with fellow YMCA branches, development organisations, corporate bodies and other entities interested in any of the region’s focus areas.
The Ashanti Region/Brong Ahafo YMCA has the following facilities:
- Office spaces which serve as the regional office and a conference hall at Adum, the commercial hub of Kumasi.
- Morso YMCA has a YMCA centre which comprises a day-care centre, rooms rented out as hostels and a conference hall. Branch meetings are held at the centre.
- Konongo YMCA has a YMCA centre comprising a conference hall, day-care centre and rooms rented out as hostel as well. Branch meetings are held at the centre.
- Wawase YMCA has a YMCA centre comprising a conference hall, day-care centre and rooms rented out as hostel as well. Branch meetings are held at the centre.
- Bassa YMCA has a day-care centre which also serves as a venue for all YMCA branch meetings.
Regional President – Mr. Eric Obeng
Regional Vice President – Mr. Sandy Kyei Baffour
Regional Treasurer – Mr. Yaw Darko Attobrah
Regional Director – Mr. Gabriel Ofori Appiah